Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Masks

                 Do you remember Halloween as a kid, or even to this day? It was all about dressing up, putting on masks and getting to be someone/something you aren’t. Even when you were little you would make up games and would turn into somebody you weren’t. It was always fun to get out of this reality and have no care in the world. Although those times in our lives are fun and something to be remembered, but there are many of us who wear masks throughout our lives. We act like something we are not. In school we act a certain way to be popular, because it’s what everyone else is doing. Even many of us put on the mask of Christianity because it’s what our friends are doing. But acting like this is not what God had planned.                 God has a plan for each of us and has planned us to be someone special. But when we keep putting on our masks, we lose the sight of who we really are. The masks we put on to “fit in” get in the way of who we were meant to be. And if we aren’t acting like who God made us to be, then how can we say we have a strong relationship with God? Living for him and following his plans for us is what a relationship with Christ is about, but putting on masks pulls us farther and farther away from that. It’s time to take off the mask and start living for God, not ourselves.
               You must take off your mask to start actually living your life. By taking off our masks we become what God made us to be. By wearing all the masks you are like a ship lost at sea. You are searching for a destination, but you don’t know where that destination is or how to even find it. You keep sailing around and around and don’t know where to turn next. By taking off that mask you find where you need to go and quickly see the destination ahead of you. That destination is an eternity with God. Taking off that mask and living truly for him gives you the security of spending an eternity in his Kingdom with the Father. Because what is a lifetime on this earth compared to an eternity with God? So it’s time to take off your mask. Are you ready?
              Can you think of the masks you wear? Think about them and let’s pray, “Jesus, I take off all my masks and lay them at your feet. You put me on this earth for a certain reason and have made me into someone special. I plan to start living my life the way you want me to.  I pray you pour out into me, for I have my heart and soul open to you. Guide me through life for I know you have great plans for me. In your name I pray, Amen.”
The verse for the week is from Luke 12:7, "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

No comments:

Post a Comment